Jets cut CB Antonio Cromartie earlier this week.
INDIANAPOLIS – Todd Bowles might be wandering around Florham Park this spring with a sandwich board sign: WANTED: A No. 2 cornerback.
The Jets head coach will hold an “open competition” for the cornerback spot opposite Darrelle Revis after the organization cut Antonio Cromartie earlier this week. Buster Skrine is the most accomplished option, but it might make sense for the Jets to give Marcus Williams an opportunity to play outside and move Skrine, the best slot corner at Bowles’ disposal, inside.
“It’s open right now,” Bowles said Wednesday at the Combine. “Buster, Dee (Milliner), Marcus. It’s an open competition. We’ll see who wins out.”
Milliner, plagued by injuries since the former regime selected him with a Top 10 pick, supposedly will have a fair chance to revive his career.
“He’s in a competition for the starting job,” Bowles said. “The spot’s open.”
Cromartie, who will turn 32 in April, was scheduled to earn $ 8 million in the second year of a four-year, $ 32 million deal that he signed a year ago.
“We looked at the tape,” Bowles said. “He didn’t have the greatest year, but he played with a lot of injuries to his credit. Cromartie’s one of the closest and one of the finest players I’ve ever played with or coached. It was a hard decision, but we needed to upgrade.”
“There’s a chance he could come back,” Bowles added. “We’ll see how it goes down the line, but there’s a chance.”
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.